Why this matters:
Unpaid internships exclude those who cannot afford to work for free. The are also often illegal as they breach National Minimum Wage legislation that state all workers are entitled to a wage. Employers are currently able to get away with not paying their interns because the government and HMRC are not adequately enforcing National Minimum Wage legislation when it comes to interns.
Writing to your local MP will put pressure on the government to take this issue seriously and end the issue of unpaid internships for good.
What we need you to do:
- Find the name of your local MP by entering your postcode here: http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/
- Download this template letter by clicking here: Dear local MP or copying and pasting the text from here
- Change [Your MP’s name] to the name of your MP, and [Your name] to your name!
- Send your letter to [Name of your MP] House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
- Tweet / Facebook about it to encourage others to do the same.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org when you receive a response from your MP